Examination of the central nervous system in the critically ill patient: Important clinical signs and diagnoses

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Curiously, there are wide differences in the admission rates to intensive care units (ICU) due to neurological illness. For example the Intensive Care Society's study of 26 units in the UK and Ireland reported an admission rate for neurological illness of between 2.9 and 23.1% (mean 9.4%) for all ICU admissions. Another study, of a single ICU in Chicago, reported that only 4.9% of 1850 admissions were due to neurological illness. This lower incidence probably reflects the exclusion of patients with drug overdose from the diagnostic category. Importantly, these authors went on to demonstrate that among the remaining patients (95.1%), 12.3% developed one or more neurological complications while in the ICU. Moreover the development of neurological complications worsened the patient's prognosis in terms of mortality and duration of ICU stay. This background of neurological morbidity in the ICU emphasises the importance of the neurological examination of critically ill patients; without such an examination, diagnoses will be missed, treatment inadequate and estimates of prognosis inaccurate.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalBritish Journal of Intensive Care
Volume4
Issue number4
StatePublished - 1994
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Critical Illness
Intensive Care Units
Central Nervous System
Drug Overdose
Neurologic Examination
Critical Care
Ireland
Morbidity
Mortality
Incidence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Critical Care and Intensive Care Medicine

Cite this

@article{683e8de5c90e4cfd802ee02ce7e33cda,
title = "Examination of the central nervous system in the critically ill patient: Important clinical signs and diagnoses",
abstract = "Curiously, there are wide differences in the admission rates to intensive care units (ICU) due to neurological illness. For example the Intensive Care Society's study of 26 units in the UK and Ireland reported an admission rate for neurological illness of between 2.9 and 23.1{\%} (mean 9.4{\%}) for all ICU admissions. Another study, of a single ICU in Chicago, reported that only 4.9{\%} of 1850 admissions were due to neurological illness. This lower incidence probably reflects the exclusion of patients with drug overdose from the diagnostic category. Importantly, these authors went on to demonstrate that among the remaining patients (95.1{\%}), 12.3{\%} developed one or more neurological complications while in the ICU. Moreover the development of neurological complications worsened the patient's prognosis in terms of mortality and duration of ICU stay. This background of neurological morbidity in the ICU emphasises the importance of the neurological examination of critically ill patients; without such an examination, diagnoses will be missed, treatment inadequate and estimates of prognosis inaccurate.",
author = "Stephen Smith",
year = "1994",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "4",
journal = "British Journal of Intensive Care",
issn = "0961-7930",
publisher = "Greycoat Publishing",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Examination of the central nervous system in the critically ill patient

T2 - Important clinical signs and diagnoses

AU - Smith, Stephen

PY - 1994

Y1 - 1994

N2 - Curiously, there are wide differences in the admission rates to intensive care units (ICU) due to neurological illness. For example the Intensive Care Society's study of 26 units in the UK and Ireland reported an admission rate for neurological illness of between 2.9 and 23.1% (mean 9.4%) for all ICU admissions. Another study, of a single ICU in Chicago, reported that only 4.9% of 1850 admissions were due to neurological illness. This lower incidence probably reflects the exclusion of patients with drug overdose from the diagnostic category. Importantly, these authors went on to demonstrate that among the remaining patients (95.1%), 12.3% developed one or more neurological complications while in the ICU. Moreover the development of neurological complications worsened the patient's prognosis in terms of mortality and duration of ICU stay. This background of neurological morbidity in the ICU emphasises the importance of the neurological examination of critically ill patients; without such an examination, diagnoses will be missed, treatment inadequate and estimates of prognosis inaccurate.

AB - Curiously, there are wide differences in the admission rates to intensive care units (ICU) due to neurological illness. For example the Intensive Care Society's study of 26 units in the UK and Ireland reported an admission rate for neurological illness of between 2.9 and 23.1% (mean 9.4%) for all ICU admissions. Another study, of a single ICU in Chicago, reported that only 4.9% of 1850 admissions were due to neurological illness. This lower incidence probably reflects the exclusion of patients with drug overdose from the diagnostic category. Importantly, these authors went on to demonstrate that among the remaining patients (95.1%), 12.3% developed one or more neurological complications while in the ICU. Moreover the development of neurological complications worsened the patient's prognosis in terms of mortality and duration of ICU stay. This background of neurological morbidity in the ICU emphasises the importance of the neurological examination of critically ill patients; without such an examination, diagnoses will be missed, treatment inadequate and estimates of prognosis inaccurate.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028328509&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028328509&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0028328509

VL - 4

JO - British Journal of Intensive Care

JF - British Journal of Intensive Care

SN - 0961-7930

IS - 4

ER -