We experienced a case in which a 66 year-old male patient developed anaphylactic shock followed by ventricular fibrillation, possibly due to intravenous aspiration of chlorhexidine used for topical application when right internal jugular vein was punctured. He was successfully resuscitated without any sequelae. Although lymphocyte transformation test failed to identify the specific allergen, IgE antibodies against chlorhexidine in the patient's serum were detected by radioallergosorbent technique. Chlorhexidine is an extensively used antiseptic, but there have been many reports regarding severe adverse reactions associated with its use. Chlorhexidine does not seem to be a safe antiseptic.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||5|
|Journal||Japanese Journal of Anesthesiology|
|State||Published - Jan 1 1992|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine