A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases

T. Takashima, S. Tsuda, S. Misawa, S. Horiike, Y. Kuzuyama, K. Hirakawa, Hiroyuki Nakai, T. Seriu, S. Tanaka, K. Nishida, M. Taniwaki, K. Kashima, H. Fujii, H. Nakagawa, T. Nakai, Y. Ohkawara, H. Imanishi, H. Nishigaki, S. Yokota

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Eighty-six patients with infections associated with hematological disorders were treated with sulbactam/cefoperazone (SBT/CPZ) and amikacin (AMK).Among 71 evaluable cases, 30 cases had acute non-lymphocytic leukemia, 3 acute lymphoblastic leukemia, 25 malignant lymphoma, and 7 myelodysplastic syndrome as underlying diseases. Excellent responses were obtained in 33 cases (46.5%) and good responses in 14 cases (19.7%), with an overall efficacy rate of 66.2%. The efficacy rate among cases with suspected sepsis was 72.5%. This treatment was also effective in 69.2% of cases in which neutrophil counts were less than 500/μl through the course of administration. The eradication rate was 83.3% among 6 strains in which Gram-negative rods were detected. Side effects were minimum; skin rash in 1 case, slight elevation of APTT in 3 and slight elevation of total bilirubin in 1. Thus, this combination antibacterial chemotherapy is an effective and safe regimen for the treatment of severe infections in patients with hematological disorders.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)251-258
Number of pages8
JournalJapanese Journal of Antibiotics
Volume46
Issue number3
StatePublished - 1993
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Cefoperazone
Sulbactam
Amikacin
Hematologic Diseases
Precursor Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia-Lymphoma
Myelodysplastic Syndromes
Infection
Exanthema
Combination Drug Therapy
Bilirubin
Lymphoma
Sepsis
Neutrophils
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Medicine
  • Pharmacology

Cite this

Takashima, T., Tsuda, S., Misawa, S., Horiike, S., Kuzuyama, Y., Hirakawa, K., ... Yokota, S. (1993). A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases. Japanese Journal of Antibiotics, 46(3), 251-258.

A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases. / Takashima, T.; Tsuda, S.; Misawa, S.; Horiike, S.; Kuzuyama, Y.; Hirakawa, K.; Nakai, Hiroyuki; Seriu, T.; Tanaka, S.; Nishida, K.; Taniwaki, M.; Kashima, K.; Fujii, H.; Nakagawa, H.; Nakai, T.; Ohkawara, Y.; Imanishi, H.; Nishigaki, H.; Yokota, S.

In: Japanese Journal of Antibiotics, Vol. 46, No. 3, 1993, p. 251-258.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Takashima, T, Tsuda, S, Misawa, S, Horiike, S, Kuzuyama, Y, Hirakawa, K, Nakai, H, Seriu, T, Tanaka, S, Nishida, K, Taniwaki, M, Kashima, K, Fujii, H, Nakagawa, H, Nakai, T, Ohkawara, Y, Imanishi, H, Nishigaki, H & Yokota, S 1993, 'A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases', Japanese Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 251-258.
Takashima, T. ; Tsuda, S. ; Misawa, S. ; Horiike, S. ; Kuzuyama, Y. ; Hirakawa, K. ; Nakai, Hiroyuki ; Seriu, T. ; Tanaka, S. ; Nishida, K. ; Taniwaki, M. ; Kashima, K. ; Fujii, H. ; Nakagawa, H. ; Nakai, T. ; Ohkawara, Y. ; Imanishi, H. ; Nishigaki, H. ; Yokota, S. / A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases. In: Japanese Journal of Antibiotics. 1993 ; Vol. 46, No. 3. pp. 251-258.
@article{ceddbc377750420b9747d53870a58006,
title = "A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases",
abstract = "Eighty-six patients with infections associated with hematological disorders were treated with sulbactam/cefoperazone (SBT/CPZ) and amikacin (AMK).Among 71 evaluable cases, 30 cases had acute non-lymphocytic leukemia, 3 acute lymphoblastic leukemia, 25 malignant lymphoma, and 7 myelodysplastic syndrome as underlying diseases. Excellent responses were obtained in 33 cases (46.5{\%}) and good responses in 14 cases (19.7{\%}), with an overall efficacy rate of 66.2{\%}. The efficacy rate among cases with suspected sepsis was 72.5{\%}. This treatment was also effective in 69.2{\%} of cases in which neutrophil counts were less than 500/μl through the course of administration. The eradication rate was 83.3{\%} among 6 strains in which Gram-negative rods were detected. Side effects were minimum; skin rash in 1 case, slight elevation of APTT in 3 and slight elevation of total bilirubin in 1. Thus, this combination antibacterial chemotherapy is an effective and safe regimen for the treatment of severe infections in patients with hematological disorders.",
author = "T. Takashima and S. Tsuda and S. Misawa and S. Horiike and Y. Kuzuyama and K. Hirakawa and Hiroyuki Nakai and T. Seriu and S. Tanaka and K. Nishida and M. Taniwaki and K. Kashima and H. Fujii and H. Nakagawa and T. Nakai and Y. Ohkawara and H. Imanishi and H. Nishigaki and S. Yokota",
year = "1993",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "46",
pages = "251--258",
journal = "The Journal of antibiotics. Ser. B",
issn = "0368-2781",
publisher = "Japan Antibiotics Research Association",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A combined sulbactam/cefoperazone and amikacin therapy for the treatment of infections complicated with hematological diseases

AU - Takashima, T.

AU - Tsuda, S.

AU - Misawa, S.

AU - Horiike, S.

AU - Kuzuyama, Y.

AU - Hirakawa, K.

AU - Nakai, Hiroyuki

AU - Seriu, T.

AU - Tanaka, S.

AU - Nishida, K.

AU - Taniwaki, M.

AU - Kashima, K.

AU - Fujii, H.

AU - Nakagawa, H.

AU - Nakai, T.

AU - Ohkawara, Y.

AU - Imanishi, H.

AU - Nishigaki, H.

AU - Yokota, S.

PY - 1993

Y1 - 1993

N2 - Eighty-six patients with infections associated with hematological disorders were treated with sulbactam/cefoperazone (SBT/CPZ) and amikacin (AMK).Among 71 evaluable cases, 30 cases had acute non-lymphocytic leukemia, 3 acute lymphoblastic leukemia, 25 malignant lymphoma, and 7 myelodysplastic syndrome as underlying diseases. Excellent responses were obtained in 33 cases (46.5%) and good responses in 14 cases (19.7%), with an overall efficacy rate of 66.2%. The efficacy rate among cases with suspected sepsis was 72.5%. This treatment was also effective in 69.2% of cases in which neutrophil counts were less than 500/μl through the course of administration. The eradication rate was 83.3% among 6 strains in which Gram-negative rods were detected. Side effects were minimum; skin rash in 1 case, slight elevation of APTT in 3 and slight elevation of total bilirubin in 1. Thus, this combination antibacterial chemotherapy is an effective and safe regimen for the treatment of severe infections in patients with hematological disorders.

AB - Eighty-six patients with infections associated with hematological disorders were treated with sulbactam/cefoperazone (SBT/CPZ) and amikacin (AMK).Among 71 evaluable cases, 30 cases had acute non-lymphocytic leukemia, 3 acute lymphoblastic leukemia, 25 malignant lymphoma, and 7 myelodysplastic syndrome as underlying diseases. Excellent responses were obtained in 33 cases (46.5%) and good responses in 14 cases (19.7%), with an overall efficacy rate of 66.2%. The efficacy rate among cases with suspected sepsis was 72.5%. This treatment was also effective in 69.2% of cases in which neutrophil counts were less than 500/μl through the course of administration. The eradication rate was 83.3% among 6 strains in which Gram-negative rods were detected. Side effects were minimum; skin rash in 1 case, slight elevation of APTT in 3 and slight elevation of total bilirubin in 1. Thus, this combination antibacterial chemotherapy is an effective and safe regimen for the treatment of severe infections in patients with hematological disorders.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027281316&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027281316&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8510322

AN - SCOPUS:0027281316

VL - 46

SP - 251

EP - 258

JO - The Journal of antibiotics. Ser. B

JF - The Journal of antibiotics. Ser. B

SN - 0368-2781

IS - 3

ER -