Treatment of childhood myopia with atropine eyedrops and bifocal spectacles

Michael Chiang, A. Kouzis, R. W. Pointer, M. X. Repka

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

29 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Animal and human studies have suggested that muscarinic antagonists and bifocal spectacles may decrease the progression of myopia in children. The purpose of this study is to report the largest known series of patients treated simultaneously with bifocals and topical atropine. Design: Retrospective, interventional, non-comparative case series. Methods: 706 myopic children (296 boys and 410 girls, ages 6 to 16 years) were prescribed full cycloplegic spectacle corrections, with photochromic lenses and +2.25 diopter (D) reading adds in each eye. Both eyes were treated with atropine 1% drops once weekly. Outcome measures: Annual change in cycloplegic refractions of right eyes. Compliance with therapy was monitored by patient and parental report. Results: 496 (70%) of the 706 patients reported full compliance with the treatment regimen, whereas the remaining 210 (30%) patients were partially compliant. The median interval of treatment was 3.62 years (range, 21 days-10.1 years). The mean rate of myopic progression was significantly less (P

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)209-216
Number of pages8
JournalBinocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly
Volume16
Issue number3
StatePublished - 2001
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Ophthalmic Solutions
Myopia
Atropine
Mydriatics
Muscarinic Antagonists
Therapeutics
Lenses
Reading
Outcome Assessment (Health Care)

Keywords

  • Atropine
  • Bifocals
  • Myopia
  • Preventative medicine
  • Retrospective study
  • School myopia

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Ophthalmology

Cite this

Treatment of childhood myopia with atropine eyedrops and bifocal spectacles. / Chiang, Michael; Kouzis, A.; Pointer, R. W.; Repka, M. X.

In: Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2001, p. 209-216.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chiang, Michael ; Kouzis, A. ; Pointer, R. W. ; Repka, M. X. / Treatment of childhood myopia with atropine eyedrops and bifocal spectacles. In: Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly. 2001 ; Vol. 16, No. 3. pp. 209-216.
@article{efacaed2fe9a43f79169e0f7bf3e7a50,
title = "Treatment of childhood myopia with atropine eyedrops and bifocal spectacles",
abstract = "Background: Animal and human studies have suggested that muscarinic antagonists and bifocal spectacles may decrease the progression of myopia in children. The purpose of this study is to report the largest known series of patients treated simultaneously with bifocals and topical atropine. Design: Retrospective, interventional, non-comparative case series. Methods: 706 myopic children (296 boys and 410 girls, ages 6 to 16 years) were prescribed full cycloplegic spectacle corrections, with photochromic lenses and +2.25 diopter (D) reading adds in each eye. Both eyes were treated with atropine 1{\%} drops once weekly. Outcome measures: Annual change in cycloplegic refractions of right eyes. Compliance with therapy was monitored by patient and parental report. Results: 496 (70{\%}) of the 706 patients reported full compliance with the treatment regimen, whereas the remaining 210 (30{\%}) patients were partially compliant. The median interval of treatment was 3.62 years (range, 21 days-10.1 years). The mean rate of myopic progression was significantly less (P",
keywords = "Atropine, Bifocals, Myopia, Preventative medicine, Retrospective study, School myopia",
author = "Michael Chiang and A. Kouzis and Pointer, {R. W.} and Repka, {M. X.}",
year = "2001",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "16",
pages = "209--216",
journal = "Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly",
issn = "1088-6281",
publisher = "Binoculus Publishing",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Treatment of childhood myopia with atropine eyedrops and bifocal spectacles

AU - Chiang, Michael

AU - Kouzis, A.

AU - Pointer, R. W.

AU - Repka, M. X.

PY - 2001

Y1 - 2001

N2 - Background: Animal and human studies have suggested that muscarinic antagonists and bifocal spectacles may decrease the progression of myopia in children. The purpose of this study is to report the largest known series of patients treated simultaneously with bifocals and topical atropine. Design: Retrospective, interventional, non-comparative case series. Methods: 706 myopic children (296 boys and 410 girls, ages 6 to 16 years) were prescribed full cycloplegic spectacle corrections, with photochromic lenses and +2.25 diopter (D) reading adds in each eye. Both eyes were treated with atropine 1% drops once weekly. Outcome measures: Annual change in cycloplegic refractions of right eyes. Compliance with therapy was monitored by patient and parental report. Results: 496 (70%) of the 706 patients reported full compliance with the treatment regimen, whereas the remaining 210 (30%) patients were partially compliant. The median interval of treatment was 3.62 years (range, 21 days-10.1 years). The mean rate of myopic progression was significantly less (P

AB - Background: Animal and human studies have suggested that muscarinic antagonists and bifocal spectacles may decrease the progression of myopia in children. The purpose of this study is to report the largest known series of patients treated simultaneously with bifocals and topical atropine. Design: Retrospective, interventional, non-comparative case series. Methods: 706 myopic children (296 boys and 410 girls, ages 6 to 16 years) were prescribed full cycloplegic spectacle corrections, with photochromic lenses and +2.25 diopter (D) reading adds in each eye. Both eyes were treated with atropine 1% drops once weekly. Outcome measures: Annual change in cycloplegic refractions of right eyes. Compliance with therapy was monitored by patient and parental report. Results: 496 (70%) of the 706 patients reported full compliance with the treatment regimen, whereas the remaining 210 (30%) patients were partially compliant. The median interval of treatment was 3.62 years (range, 21 days-10.1 years). The mean rate of myopic progression was significantly less (P

KW - Atropine

KW - Bifocals

KW - Myopia

KW - Preventative medicine

KW - Retrospective study

KW - School myopia

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0034886556&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0034886556&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11511288

AN - SCOPUS:0034886556

VL - 16

SP - 209

EP - 216

JO - Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly

JF - Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly

SN - 1088-6281

IS - 3

ER -