Tofacitinib for the treatment of refractory pyoderma gangrenosum

V. E. Orfaly, I. Kovalenko, S. N. Tolkachjov, A. G. Ortega-Loayza, J. R. Nunley

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations


Pyoderma gangrenosum (PG) is a rare, debilitating, inflammatory skin disease associated with a variety of systemic diseases. Because of its rarity, PG is treated with miscellaneous immunosuppressive agents as there is no US Food and Drug Administration-approved standardized treatment approach. We present four patients with PG treated with tofacitinib in the context of the six existing cases in the literature. Tofacitinib appeared to be beneficial in the small sample of patients (n = 10) who failed an average of four other systemic therapies. The majority of patients had classic PG located on the legs (80%, 8/10), while 20% of cases (2/10) were peristomal. The most common comorbidity was inflammatory bowel disease (78%, 7/9). There were no negative treatment results and 40% (4/10) of patients had complete healing of their ulcers, while the other 60% (6/10) had marked clinical improvement. From our observation, tofacitinib appears to be a promising steroid-sparing adjuvant treatment in patients with refractory PG who have failed on other systemic therapies.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1082-1085
Number of pages4
JournalClinical and Experimental Dermatology
Issue number6
StatePublished - Aug 2021

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dermatology


Dive into the research topics of 'Tofacitinib for the treatment of refractory pyoderma gangrenosum'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this