The 'butterfly' graft in functional secondary rhinoplasty

J. Madison Clark, Ted A. Cook

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

95 Scopus citations

Abstract

Objective: To describe a surgical technique (the conchal cartilage "butterfly" graft) which, when used in properly selected patients, has been found to be a dependable method for alleviation of postrhinoplasty internal nasal valve dysfunction. Study Design: Retrospective chart review. Methods: Analysis of consecutive patients with weakness and/or collapse of the upper lateral cartilages following rhinoplasty. Seventy-two patients (37 women and 35 men, age range 17-76 y) had severe nasal obstruction and were found to have indications for this procedure. All patients had undergone at least one rhinoplastic procedure. All patients were followed for a minimum of 2 years after surgery. Results: All 72 patients experienced significant subjective improvement in relative nasal obstruction. Two patients (3%) reported less than total resolution of their difficulty breathing through their nose; the remaining 70 patients (97%) reported complete resolution of their nasal airway problems. No patients reported their post-operative nasal obstruction as the same or worse than their preoperative baseline. Sixty-two patients (86%) reported improvement in the appearance of their nose, 8 patients (11%) felt that their appearance was unchanged, and 2 patients (3%) felt that the appearance of their nose was made worse by the procedure. Conclusions: Patients presenting with nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty are frequently found to have collapse and/or weakening of their upper lateral cartilages with resulting nasal valve dysfunction. The conchal cartilage "butterfly" graft is a technique which, when properly performed during revision rhinoplasty, yields predictable functional and cosmetic results with minimal morbidity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1917-1925
Number of pages9
JournalLaryngoscope
Volume112
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2002

Keywords

  • Butterfly graft
  • Conchal cartilage graft
  • Nasal valve obstruction
  • Revision rhinoplasty

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The 'butterfly' graft in functional secondary rhinoplasty'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this