Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female: Significance of occult Y-related material

D. M. Wilson, R. L. Hintz, J. C. Ross, Ronald (Ron) Rosenfeld

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

The authors report a 15-year-old short, nonvirilized, prepubertal female whose peripheral karyotype revealed a mosaicism in which 62 percent of the cells had a karyotype of 45X, and the other 38 percent had a karyotype of 46X plus a small unidentified marker chromosome. Since the authors were unable to determine from the karyotype whether this marker was derived from an X or a Y chromosome and because of the high risk for neoplasia in abnormal gonads containing Y material, she underwent surgical exploration, with removal of gonadal tissue. Microscopic examination of the streak gonads revealed a mixture of dysgenetic ovarian and testicular type tissues. The presence of testicular-like tubules strongly implied the presence of Y material in the genotype. Review of the literature reveals at least 19 similar cases in which presumed sex chromosomal markers or fragments were found in phenotypically normal females. Because of the risk of gonadal neoplasia in patients with occult Y chromosomal material, gonadectomy is indicated when the origin of the marker chromosome is uncertain.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)36-39
Number of pages4
JournalClinical Pediatrics
Volume25
Issue number1
StatePublished - 1986
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Sex Chromosomes
Karyotype
Gonads
Genetic Markers
Mosaicism
Y Chromosome
Neoplasms
Genotype

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health

Cite this

Wilson, D. M., Hintz, R. L., Ross, J. C., & Rosenfeld, R. R. (1986). Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female: Significance of occult Y-related material. Clinical Pediatrics, 25(1), 36-39.

Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female : Significance of occult Y-related material. / Wilson, D. M.; Hintz, R. L.; Ross, J. C.; Rosenfeld, Ronald (Ron).

In: Clinical Pediatrics, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1986, p. 36-39.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Wilson, DM, Hintz, RL, Ross, JC & Rosenfeld, RR 1986, 'Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female: Significance of occult Y-related material', Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 36-39.
Wilson, D. M. ; Hintz, R. L. ; Ross, J. C. ; Rosenfeld, Ronald (Ron). / Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female : Significance of occult Y-related material. In: Clinical Pediatrics. 1986 ; Vol. 25, No. 1. pp. 36-39.
@article{2401061e321f4f64b207080267b130ce,
title = "Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female: Significance of occult Y-related material",
abstract = "The authors report a 15-year-old short, nonvirilized, prepubertal female whose peripheral karyotype revealed a mosaicism in which 62 percent of the cells had a karyotype of 45X, and the other 38 percent had a karyotype of 46X plus a small unidentified marker chromosome. Since the authors were unable to determine from the karyotype whether this marker was derived from an X or a Y chromosome and because of the high risk for neoplasia in abnormal gonads containing Y material, she underwent surgical exploration, with removal of gonadal tissue. Microscopic examination of the streak gonads revealed a mixture of dysgenetic ovarian and testicular type tissues. The presence of testicular-like tubules strongly implied the presence of Y material in the genotype. Review of the literature reveals at least 19 similar cases in which presumed sex chromosomal markers or fragments were found in phenotypically normal females. Because of the risk of gonadal neoplasia in patients with occult Y chromosomal material, gonadectomy is indicated when the origin of the marker chromosome is uncertain.",
author = "Wilson, {D. M.} and Hintz, {R. L.} and Ross, {J. C.} and Rosenfeld, {Ronald (Ron)}",
year = "1986",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "25",
pages = "36--39",
journal = "Clinical Pediatrics",
issn = "0009-9228",
publisher = "SAGE Publications Inc.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Sex chromosome fragment in a phenotypically normal female

T2 - Significance of occult Y-related material

AU - Wilson, D. M.

AU - Hintz, R. L.

AU - Ross, J. C.

AU - Rosenfeld, Ronald (Ron)

PY - 1986

Y1 - 1986

N2 - The authors report a 15-year-old short, nonvirilized, prepubertal female whose peripheral karyotype revealed a mosaicism in which 62 percent of the cells had a karyotype of 45X, and the other 38 percent had a karyotype of 46X plus a small unidentified marker chromosome. Since the authors were unable to determine from the karyotype whether this marker was derived from an X or a Y chromosome and because of the high risk for neoplasia in abnormal gonads containing Y material, she underwent surgical exploration, with removal of gonadal tissue. Microscopic examination of the streak gonads revealed a mixture of dysgenetic ovarian and testicular type tissues. The presence of testicular-like tubules strongly implied the presence of Y material in the genotype. Review of the literature reveals at least 19 similar cases in which presumed sex chromosomal markers or fragments were found in phenotypically normal females. Because of the risk of gonadal neoplasia in patients with occult Y chromosomal material, gonadectomy is indicated when the origin of the marker chromosome is uncertain.

AB - The authors report a 15-year-old short, nonvirilized, prepubertal female whose peripheral karyotype revealed a mosaicism in which 62 percent of the cells had a karyotype of 45X, and the other 38 percent had a karyotype of 46X plus a small unidentified marker chromosome. Since the authors were unable to determine from the karyotype whether this marker was derived from an X or a Y chromosome and because of the high risk for neoplasia in abnormal gonads containing Y material, she underwent surgical exploration, with removal of gonadal tissue. Microscopic examination of the streak gonads revealed a mixture of dysgenetic ovarian and testicular type tissues. The presence of testicular-like tubules strongly implied the presence of Y material in the genotype. Review of the literature reveals at least 19 similar cases in which presumed sex chromosomal markers or fragments were found in phenotypically normal females. Because of the risk of gonadal neoplasia in patients with occult Y chromosomal material, gonadectomy is indicated when the origin of the marker chromosome is uncertain.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0022590055&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0022590055&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 3455908

AN - SCOPUS:0022590055

VL - 25

SP - 36

EP - 39

JO - Clinical Pediatrics

JF - Clinical Pediatrics

SN - 0009-9228

IS - 1

ER -