Objective:We investigated the association between number of prenatal visits (PNV) and pregnancy outcomes.Study Design:A retrospective cohort of 12 092 consecutive, uncomplicated term births was included. Exclusion criteria included unknown or third trimester pregnancy dating, pre-existing medical conditions and common pregnancy complications. Patients with ≤10 PNV were compared with those with >10. The primary outcome was a neonatal composite including neonatal intensive-care unit admission, low APGAR score (<7), low umbilical cord pH (<7.10) and neonatal demise. Secondary outcomes included components of the composite as well as vaginal delivery, induction and cesarean delivery. Logistic regression was used to adjust for potential confounders.Result:Of 7256 patients in the cohort meeting inclusion criteria, 30% (N=2163) had >10 PNV and the remaining 70% (N=5093) had ≤10, respectively. There was no difference in the neonatal composite between the two groups. However, women with>10 PNV were more likely to undergo induction of labor and cesarean delivery.Conclusion:Low-risk women with ≥10 PNV had higher rates of pregnancy interventions without improvement in neonatal outcomes.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
- Obstetrics and Gynecology