Novel use of stimulating fence-post technique for functional mapping of subcortical white matter during tumor resection: A technical case series

Seunggu (Jude) Han, Zoe Teton, Kunal Gupta, Aaron Kawamoto, Ahmed M. Raslan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Maximal safe resection remains a key principle in infiltrating glioma management. Stimulation mapping is a key adjunct for minimizing functional morbidity while “fence-post” procedures use catheters or dye to mark the tumor border at the start of the procedure prior to brain shift. OBJECTIVE: To report a novel technique using stereotactically placed electrodes to guide tumor resection near critical descending subcortical fibers. METHODS: Navigated electrodes were placed prior to tumor resection along the deep margin bordering presumed eloquent tracts. Stimulation was administered through these depth electrodes for subcortical motor and language mapping. RESULTS: Twelve patients were included in this preliminary technical report. Seven patients (7/12, 58%) were in asleep cases, while the other 5 cases (5/12, 42%) were performed awake. Mapping of motor fibers was performed in 8 cases, and language mapping was done in 1 case. In 3 cases, both motor and language mapping were performed using the same depth electrode spanning corticospinal tract and the arcuate fasciculus. CONCLUSION: Stereotactic depth electrode placement coupled with stimulation mapping of white matter tracts can be used concomitantly to demarcate the border between deep tumor margins and eloquent brain, thus helping to maximize extent of resection while minimizing functional morbidity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)264-270
Number of pages7
JournalOperative Neurosurgery
Volume19
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 1 2020

Keywords

  • Fence post
  • Language mapping
  • Motor mapping
  • Stimulation mapping
  • Subcortical mapping

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Clinical Neurology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Novel use of stimulating fence-post technique for functional mapping of subcortical white matter during tumor resection: A technical case series'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this