Clinical evaluation of ceftazidime monotherapy for infections complicated with hematological disorders

Yuko Kuzuyama, Shoichiro Tsuda, Taku Seriu, Hiroyuki Nakai, Tsuyoshi Murakami, Teruyuki Takashima, Yukari Takahashi, Shinji Tanaka, Hitoshi Nakagawa, Hikari Nishigaki, Shouhei Yokota, Masafumi Taniwaki, Shinichi Misawa, Kei Kashima, Shigeo Horiike, Kazuhiro Nishida, Tsukasa Okuda

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

Fifty patiens with infections associated with hematological disorders were treated with ceftazidime (CAZ). Among them 44 cases were evaluable, including 21 with acute leukemia, 17 with malignant lymphoma, and 6 with other hematological disorders. Excellent responses were obserbed in 15 patients (34.1%) and good responses in 15 (34.1%), with an overall efficacy rate of 68.2%. The efficacy rate among sepsis and suspected sepsis cases was 67.6%. This treatment was also effective in 7 of 10 cases in which neutrophil counts were less than 500/mm3 through the course of administration. Laboratory abnormalities included mild eosinophilia in 1 case, slight elevation of GOT in 1 case and slight elevation of GPT in 1 case. These results suggest that CAZ is an effective and safe antibiotics for the treatment of infections in patients with hematological disorders.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)523-529
Number of pages7
JournalThe Japanese Journal of Antibiotics
Volume45
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1992

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Microbiology (medical)
  • Pharmacology (medical)
  • Infectious Diseases

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Clinical evaluation of ceftazidime monotherapy for infections complicated with hematological disorders'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Kuzuyama, Y., Tsuda, S., Seriu, T., Nakai, H., Murakami, T., Takashima, T., Takahashi, Y., Tanaka, S., Nakagawa, H., Nishigaki, H., Yokota, S., Taniwaki, M., Misawa, S., Kashima, K., Horiike, S., Nishida, K., & Okuda, T. (1992). Clinical evaluation of ceftazidime monotherapy for infections complicated with hematological disorders. The Japanese Journal of Antibiotics, 45(5), 523-529. https://doi.org/10.11553/antibiotics1968b.45.523