Changing trends in the nature of vocal fold motion impairment

Albert L. Merati, Nima Shemirani, Timothy Smith, Robert J. Toohill

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

39 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose: Vocal fold motion impairment (VFMI) continues to be a dominant issue in laryngology. The objective of this study is to examine a contemporary population of patients with newly diagnosed VFMI and detect changes in the nature of the cases compared with previous reports. Materials and methods: Eighty-four patients with newly diagnosed VFMI are identified from the first author's clinic over a recent 1-year period. Patient demographics, etiology, side, and nature of the impairment are determined from retrospective chart review. Results: Of the 84 patients, 47 (56%) are women and 37 (44%) are men. The average age of all patients is 53.4 years. Seventy-five (89.3%) of the 84 VFMIs were unilateral, with 11% (9/84) being bilateral. The left side was affected in 52% (39/75) of the patients; the right side was affected in 48% (36/75) of the unilateral cases. The motion impairment was complete in 61.3% (46/75) of the unilateral cases and partial in the remaining 38.7% (29/75). With regard to etiology, iatrogenic causes were the most prevalent with 47.6% (40/84) of the patients. Idiopathic cases comprised 36.9% (31/84) of the patients. Neoplasms (7.1%, 6/84) and miscellaneous causes (7.1%, 6/84) accounted for smaller portions of the remainder. Of the iatrogenic VFMI cases, 27.5% (11/40) followed cervical spine operations. Chest, intracranial, and thyroid surgery accounted for 6 (15%) patients each, as did endotracheal intubation (n = 6, 15%). Conclusions: Compared with previous reports, the incidence of iatrogenic cases reviewed here is relatively high. Anterior cervical spine surgery surpassed thyroidectomy and all other procedures as the most common cause of iatrogenic VFMI in this contemporary study.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)106-108
Number of pages3
JournalAmerican Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery
Volume27
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 2006

Fingerprint

Vocal Cords
Spine
Intratracheal Intubation
Thyroidectomy
Otolaryngology
Thyroid Gland
Thorax
Demography
Incidence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Cite this

Changing trends in the nature of vocal fold motion impairment. / Merati, Albert L.; Shemirani, Nima; Smith, Timothy; Toohill, Robert J.

In: American Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery, Vol. 27, No. 2, 03.2006, p. 106-108.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Merati, Albert L. ; Shemirani, Nima ; Smith, Timothy ; Toohill, Robert J. / Changing trends in the nature of vocal fold motion impairment. In: American Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery. 2006 ; Vol. 27, No. 2. pp. 106-108.
@article{711edbea678649b7adab2c0c12c6726f,
title = "Changing trends in the nature of vocal fold motion impairment",
abstract = "Purpose: Vocal fold motion impairment (VFMI) continues to be a dominant issue in laryngology. The objective of this study is to examine a contemporary population of patients with newly diagnosed VFMI and detect changes in the nature of the cases compared with previous reports. Materials and methods: Eighty-four patients with newly diagnosed VFMI are identified from the first author's clinic over a recent 1-year period. Patient demographics, etiology, side, and nature of the impairment are determined from retrospective chart review. Results: Of the 84 patients, 47 (56{\%}) are women and 37 (44{\%}) are men. The average age of all patients is 53.4 years. Seventy-five (89.3{\%}) of the 84 VFMIs were unilateral, with 11{\%} (9/84) being bilateral. The left side was affected in 52{\%} (39/75) of the patients; the right side was affected in 48{\%} (36/75) of the unilateral cases. The motion impairment was complete in 61.3{\%} (46/75) of the unilateral cases and partial in the remaining 38.7{\%} (29/75). With regard to etiology, iatrogenic causes were the most prevalent with 47.6{\%} (40/84) of the patients. Idiopathic cases comprised 36.9{\%} (31/84) of the patients. Neoplasms (7.1{\%}, 6/84) and miscellaneous causes (7.1{\%}, 6/84) accounted for smaller portions of the remainder. Of the iatrogenic VFMI cases, 27.5{\%} (11/40) followed cervical spine operations. Chest, intracranial, and thyroid surgery accounted for 6 (15{\%}) patients each, as did endotracheal intubation (n = 6, 15{\%}). Conclusions: Compared with previous reports, the incidence of iatrogenic cases reviewed here is relatively high. Anterior cervical spine surgery surpassed thyroidectomy and all other procedures as the most common cause of iatrogenic VFMI in this contemporary study.",
author = "Merati, {Albert L.} and Nima Shemirani and Timothy Smith and Toohill, {Robert J.}",
year = "2006",
month = "3",
doi = "10.1016/j.amjoto.2005.07.020",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "27",
pages = "106--108",
journal = "American Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery",
issn = "0196-0709",
publisher = "W.B. Saunders Ltd",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Changing trends in the nature of vocal fold motion impairment

AU - Merati, Albert L.

AU - Shemirani, Nima

AU - Smith, Timothy

AU - Toohill, Robert J.

PY - 2006/3

Y1 - 2006/3

N2 - Purpose: Vocal fold motion impairment (VFMI) continues to be a dominant issue in laryngology. The objective of this study is to examine a contemporary population of patients with newly diagnosed VFMI and detect changes in the nature of the cases compared with previous reports. Materials and methods: Eighty-four patients with newly diagnosed VFMI are identified from the first author's clinic over a recent 1-year period. Patient demographics, etiology, side, and nature of the impairment are determined from retrospective chart review. Results: Of the 84 patients, 47 (56%) are women and 37 (44%) are men. The average age of all patients is 53.4 years. Seventy-five (89.3%) of the 84 VFMIs were unilateral, with 11% (9/84) being bilateral. The left side was affected in 52% (39/75) of the patients; the right side was affected in 48% (36/75) of the unilateral cases. The motion impairment was complete in 61.3% (46/75) of the unilateral cases and partial in the remaining 38.7% (29/75). With regard to etiology, iatrogenic causes were the most prevalent with 47.6% (40/84) of the patients. Idiopathic cases comprised 36.9% (31/84) of the patients. Neoplasms (7.1%, 6/84) and miscellaneous causes (7.1%, 6/84) accounted for smaller portions of the remainder. Of the iatrogenic VFMI cases, 27.5% (11/40) followed cervical spine operations. Chest, intracranial, and thyroid surgery accounted for 6 (15%) patients each, as did endotracheal intubation (n = 6, 15%). Conclusions: Compared with previous reports, the incidence of iatrogenic cases reviewed here is relatively high. Anterior cervical spine surgery surpassed thyroidectomy and all other procedures as the most common cause of iatrogenic VFMI in this contemporary study.

AB - Purpose: Vocal fold motion impairment (VFMI) continues to be a dominant issue in laryngology. The objective of this study is to examine a contemporary population of patients with newly diagnosed VFMI and detect changes in the nature of the cases compared with previous reports. Materials and methods: Eighty-four patients with newly diagnosed VFMI are identified from the first author's clinic over a recent 1-year period. Patient demographics, etiology, side, and nature of the impairment are determined from retrospective chart review. Results: Of the 84 patients, 47 (56%) are women and 37 (44%) are men. The average age of all patients is 53.4 years. Seventy-five (89.3%) of the 84 VFMIs were unilateral, with 11% (9/84) being bilateral. The left side was affected in 52% (39/75) of the patients; the right side was affected in 48% (36/75) of the unilateral cases. The motion impairment was complete in 61.3% (46/75) of the unilateral cases and partial in the remaining 38.7% (29/75). With regard to etiology, iatrogenic causes were the most prevalent with 47.6% (40/84) of the patients. Idiopathic cases comprised 36.9% (31/84) of the patients. Neoplasms (7.1%, 6/84) and miscellaneous causes (7.1%, 6/84) accounted for smaller portions of the remainder. Of the iatrogenic VFMI cases, 27.5% (11/40) followed cervical spine operations. Chest, intracranial, and thyroid surgery accounted for 6 (15%) patients each, as did endotracheal intubation (n = 6, 15%). Conclusions: Compared with previous reports, the incidence of iatrogenic cases reviewed here is relatively high. Anterior cervical spine surgery surpassed thyroidectomy and all other procedures as the most common cause of iatrogenic VFMI in this contemporary study.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33144463386&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33144463386&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.amjoto.2005.07.020

DO - 10.1016/j.amjoto.2005.07.020

M3 - Article

C2 - 16500473

AN - SCOPUS:33144463386

VL - 27

SP - 106

EP - 108

JO - American Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery

JF - American Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery

SN - 0196-0709

IS - 2

ER -