Calcium polysulfide overdose: A report of two cases

B. Zane Horowitz, Kathy Marquardt, Emilie Swenson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

11 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Calcium polysulfide or lime-sulfur solution is a common agricultural product used as a fungicide. Despite its easy availability, only two prior cases of intentional ingestion, both from Japan, have been reported in the literature. Case Reports: Two cases of calcium polysulfide ingestion are presented. In the first case severe acidosis, coma and cardiac arrest occurred. Despite aggressive supportive therapy, the patient expired, Autopsy examination revealed hemorrhagic necrosis of the gastric mucosa. The second patient also exhibited altered mental status and metabolic acidosis. He experienced liver dysfunction, rhabdomyolysis, renal dysfunction, and aspiration pneumonia. He had endoscopically proven esophageal and gastric mucosal burns which developed into esophageal strictures. Conclusions: Calcium polysulfide ingestions cause direct caustic injury to the upper gastrointestinal tract, coma and severe metabolic acidosis.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)299-303
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Toxicology - Clinical Toxicology
Volume35
Issue number3
StatePublished - May 28 1997

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis

Cite this