A role for Pms2 in the prevention of tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by ultraviolet radiation and oxidative stress

Chi Y. Shin-Darlak, Amy Skinner, Mitchell Turker

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

14 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

DNA mismatch repair (MMR) is important for preventing base-pair substitutions caused by spontaneous or damage-related DNA polymerase errors. We have used a reversion assay based on mouse Aprt to investigate the role of MMR in preventing ultraviolet radiation (UV) and oxidative stress induced tandem CC → TT base pair substitutions in cultured mammalian cells. The reversion construct used for this assay can detect both C → T and CC → TT mutational events. Most spontaneous mutations in Pms2-deficient cells were single C → T substitutions (88%), with the remainder being tandem CC → TT substitutions (12%). The percentage of tandem CC → TT substitutions rose to 64% and 94% for Pms2-deficient cells exposed to UV and a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and metals (Cu/Fe), respectively. Exposure to hydrogen peroxide alone or metals alone did not induce the tandem substitutions, nor did treatment of the cells with the alkylating agent ethylmethane sulfonate, which induces G → A substitutions on the opposite strand. Tandem CC → TT substitutions were also induced by UV irradiation and the hydrogen peroxide/metal mixture in Pms2-proficient cells, but at frequencies significantly lower than those observed in the Pms2-deficient cells. We conclude that mismatch repair plays an important role in preventing tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by certain genotoxin exposures.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)51-57
Number of pages7
JournalDNA Repair
Volume4
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 2 2005

Fingerprint

Oxidative stress
Ultraviolet radiation
Oxidative Stress
Substitution reactions
DNA Mismatch Repair
Radiation
Hydrogen Peroxide
Metals
Base Pairing
Ethyl Methanesulfonate
Repair
Alkylating Agents
Mutagens
DNA-Directed DNA Polymerase
Assays
Cultured Cells
Cells
Mutation
Irradiation
DNA

Keywords

  • DNA mismatch repair
  • Mammalian reversion assay
  • Oxidative stress
  • Pms2
  • Tandem CC → TT substitutions
  • UV

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Molecular Biology

Cite this

A role for Pms2 in the prevention of tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by ultraviolet radiation and oxidative stress. / Shin-Darlak, Chi Y.; Skinner, Amy; Turker, Mitchell.

In: DNA Repair, Vol. 4, No. 1, 02.01.2005, p. 51-57.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{095076eeaae34743b26ab307e138a014,
title = "A role for Pms2 in the prevention of tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by ultraviolet radiation and oxidative stress",
abstract = "DNA mismatch repair (MMR) is important for preventing base-pair substitutions caused by spontaneous or damage-related DNA polymerase errors. We have used a reversion assay based on mouse Aprt to investigate the role of MMR in preventing ultraviolet radiation (UV) and oxidative stress induced tandem CC → TT base pair substitutions in cultured mammalian cells. The reversion construct used for this assay can detect both C → T and CC → TT mutational events. Most spontaneous mutations in Pms2-deficient cells were single C → T substitutions (88{\%}), with the remainder being tandem CC → TT substitutions (12{\%}). The percentage of tandem CC → TT substitutions rose to 64{\%} and 94{\%} for Pms2-deficient cells exposed to UV and a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and metals (Cu/Fe), respectively. Exposure to hydrogen peroxide alone or metals alone did not induce the tandem substitutions, nor did treatment of the cells with the alkylating agent ethylmethane sulfonate, which induces G → A substitutions on the opposite strand. Tandem CC → TT substitutions were also induced by UV irradiation and the hydrogen peroxide/metal mixture in Pms2-proficient cells, but at frequencies significantly lower than those observed in the Pms2-deficient cells. We conclude that mismatch repair plays an important role in preventing tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by certain genotoxin exposures.",
keywords = "DNA mismatch repair, Mammalian reversion assay, Oxidative stress, Pms2, Tandem CC → TT substitutions, UV",
author = "Shin-Darlak, {Chi Y.} and Amy Skinner and Mitchell Turker",
year = "2005",
month = "1",
day = "2",
doi = "10.1016/j.dnarep.2004.08.006",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "4",
pages = "51--57",
journal = "DNA Repair",
issn = "1568-7864",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A role for Pms2 in the prevention of tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by ultraviolet radiation and oxidative stress

AU - Shin-Darlak, Chi Y.

AU - Skinner, Amy

AU - Turker, Mitchell

PY - 2005/1/2

Y1 - 2005/1/2

N2 - DNA mismatch repair (MMR) is important for preventing base-pair substitutions caused by spontaneous or damage-related DNA polymerase errors. We have used a reversion assay based on mouse Aprt to investigate the role of MMR in preventing ultraviolet radiation (UV) and oxidative stress induced tandem CC → TT base pair substitutions in cultured mammalian cells. The reversion construct used for this assay can detect both C → T and CC → TT mutational events. Most spontaneous mutations in Pms2-deficient cells were single C → T substitutions (88%), with the remainder being tandem CC → TT substitutions (12%). The percentage of tandem CC → TT substitutions rose to 64% and 94% for Pms2-deficient cells exposed to UV and a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and metals (Cu/Fe), respectively. Exposure to hydrogen peroxide alone or metals alone did not induce the tandem substitutions, nor did treatment of the cells with the alkylating agent ethylmethane sulfonate, which induces G → A substitutions on the opposite strand. Tandem CC → TT substitutions were also induced by UV irradiation and the hydrogen peroxide/metal mixture in Pms2-proficient cells, but at frequencies significantly lower than those observed in the Pms2-deficient cells. We conclude that mismatch repair plays an important role in preventing tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by certain genotoxin exposures.

AB - DNA mismatch repair (MMR) is important for preventing base-pair substitutions caused by spontaneous or damage-related DNA polymerase errors. We have used a reversion assay based on mouse Aprt to investigate the role of MMR in preventing ultraviolet radiation (UV) and oxidative stress induced tandem CC → TT base pair substitutions in cultured mammalian cells. The reversion construct used for this assay can detect both C → T and CC → TT mutational events. Most spontaneous mutations in Pms2-deficient cells were single C → T substitutions (88%), with the remainder being tandem CC → TT substitutions (12%). The percentage of tandem CC → TT substitutions rose to 64% and 94% for Pms2-deficient cells exposed to UV and a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and metals (Cu/Fe), respectively. Exposure to hydrogen peroxide alone or metals alone did not induce the tandem substitutions, nor did treatment of the cells with the alkylating agent ethylmethane sulfonate, which induces G → A substitutions on the opposite strand. Tandem CC → TT substitutions were also induced by UV irradiation and the hydrogen peroxide/metal mixture in Pms2-proficient cells, but at frequencies significantly lower than those observed in the Pms2-deficient cells. We conclude that mismatch repair plays an important role in preventing tandem CC → TT substitutions induced by certain genotoxin exposures.

KW - DNA mismatch repair

KW - Mammalian reversion assay

KW - Oxidative stress

KW - Pms2

KW - Tandem CC → TT substitutions

KW - UV

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=7944227109&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=7944227109&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.dnarep.2004.08.006

DO - 10.1016/j.dnarep.2004.08.006

M3 - Article

C2 - 15533837

AN - SCOPUS:7944227109

VL - 4

SP - 51

EP - 57

JO - DNA Repair

JF - DNA Repair

SN - 1568-7864

IS - 1

ER -